July 19, 2012

Honey Cake


Rosh Hashanah is coming. In 2 months we will celebrate one of the major Holidays and, of course, we have to have tested recipes for the feast. I began testing earlier. Therefore, my readers and I will have time to experiment at the kitchen. Last several years I tried different recipes for honey cake, and this year I began with recipe from "Joy of cooking". It's easy, healthy and can satisfy 10-12 people. Here its' is.

Honey Cake (Lekach)

Makes 1 big Bundt cake
Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine in a medium saucepan and cook, stirring gently, over low heat until well combined.
1 & 1/2 cups honey (I took 1 cup)
1 cup coffee
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Whish together in a large bowl:
3 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 chopped walnuts
Beat in a medium bowl on high speed until thick and pale yellow, 4-5 minutes:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
Beat the cooled honey mixture into the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and beat until well blended. Scrape the batter into Bundt cake form and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes (I baked 1 hour).
Let cake cool completely in the pan on a rack before cutting.

No comments: