August 16, 2012

Cabbage and kohlrabi salad


Cabbage and kohlrabi salad

Despite of many people don't use kohlrabi a lot, I do for my salads. I was happy to see one more recipe in a new cooking book by  Yotam Ottolenghi "Plenty". By the way, I choose several recipes from his book and intend to make all of them. Now now I made a new and refreshing salad.

Serves 4
1 medium large kohlrabi
1/2 white cabbage (8 or 9 oz)
large bunch of dill, roughly chopped ( I used cilantro)
1 cup dried whole sour cherries (I used dry cranberries)
1 medium size cucumber (peeled and sliced) - my addition
grated zest of 1 lemon
6 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and white pepper to tasted
2 cups alfaalfa sprouts (I omitted)

Peel the kohlrabi and cut into thick matchsticks that are about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long. (I grated my kohlrabi). Cut cabbage into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
Put all ingridients, apart from sprouts, in a large mixing bowl. Use hands to massage everything togehter for about  minutes so the flavors mix and lemon can soften the bcabbage and sherries. (I massged cabbage separately, then mix all ingridients together). let the salad sit for about 10 minutes.
Add most of the sprouts and mix well again with your hands. (I did not add sprouts). Taste and adjust the seasoning; you need a fair amount of salt to counteract the lemon.
Garnish with the sprouts and serve ar once.

Салат из белокочанной капусты и капусты кольраби
На 4 порции

1 средняя головка кольраби
1/2 головки белокочанной капусты
2 столовых ложки укропа, мелко порезанного (если Вы предпочитаете петрушку, то можете ее использовать)
1 стакан сухой клюквы
1 небольшой огурец, очищенный и нарезанный на небольшие кусочки
тертая цедра 1 лимона
6 чайных ложек лимонного сока
1/4 чашки оливкового масла
1 зубчик чеснока, измельченного
соль и белый перец по вкусу

Тонко нашинковать белокочанную капусту.Положить капусту в большую миску. Добавить немного соли и руками перетереть. Очистить кольраби и натереть на крупной терке. Перемешать кольраби и белокочанную капусту. Добавить укроп, огурец и сухую клюкву. В отдельной небольшой посудине приготовить соус, смешав цедру лимона, лимонный сок, оливковое масло и чеснок. Залить соусом салат и хорошо перемешать. Попробывать, и если нужно добавить соль и перец. Дать постоять салату 10 минут.

1 comment:

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

ooh, it uses one of my most favorite herbs: dill!