September 20, 2013

Feta Cheese Buns




Being a good Yiddishe balaboosta, sometimes I use leftovers for delicious dishes. This time it's a farmer's and feta cheeses. While ago I posted a recipe, which I use all the time creating new combinations of cheeses. This time I used farmer's homemade farmer's cheese and feta. It's quite good and unusual treat for tea and coffee.

Makes 20 medium size buns

2 cups farmer's cheese,
1 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons milk
5 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional, I used sea salt and pepper)

In a big bowl mix together farmer's cheese, feta cheese, eggs, sugar, and salt (I used food processor) Add melted butter. In another bowl mix flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to a big bowl. Mix well until dough is soft and slightly sticky, then turn out onto floured surface and let rest under a large greased bowl for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Shape each part of dough into 10 balls and place on greased baking sheet to rest for 5 minutes. Lightly brush balls with milk and sprinkle each ball with 1/4 tsp sesame seeds. I sprinkled with sea salt and pepper.

Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool completely before serving.


No comments: