February 13, 2013

Cheesy Hamantaschen

Knowing how difficult to have all ingredients on hand before any Holidays, I found old recipe, which is very simple and very good for hamantaschens. I'm sure 100%, everyone can try such simple recipe. I found the recipe in very old cooking book published by "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine. First of all, I made cookies as they suggest in a book. For a second, I decided to try the same recipe for hamantaschen, and they are very good.

The original recipe is:

Apricot fold-overs

Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, very soft
4 ounces sharp process American cheese, thinly grated (1 cup)
1 1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water

Filling
1 cup dried apricots (I took 1 1/2 cups prunes)
2-3 tablespoons apple juice (my addition)
1 cup granulated sugar (I tool 1/2 cup)

Cream butter and cheese till light. (I processed cheese in a food processor and added very soft butter) Blend sifted flour into creamed mixture. Add water and mix well. Chill 4-5 hours. Meanwhile, prepare filling. I cooked prunes, sugar and apple juice  on a medium heat for 10 minutes, cool and processed in a food processor until smooth. Divide chilled dough in half. Roll each half to 10-inch square, cut 2 1/2-inch squares. Please 1 teaspoon filling on each square; bring up diagonal corners and seal. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375F for 8-10 minutes.
Dust with confectioner's sugar. (optional)

Using the same dough and filling, I made hamentaschen. They are really good and easy to make it.






No comments: