May 17, 2013

Pirozhki with Sweet and Sour Cabbage


Pirozhki with Sweet and Sour Cabbage

Couple days ago I posted a recipe for Potato pirozhki. Today I'm making an attempt to post a recipe for pirozhki with sweet and sour cabbage.

First of all, sweet and sour cabbage (тушеная капуста) is quite traditional side dish, which goes along with meat, fish and even for pirozhki filling. Recently I have read a book "The very best of recipes for health" by Martha Rose Shulman and found a recipe called "Italian Sweet and Sour Cabbage". Since I have never lived in Italy, I did not know that our recipe is quite popular there. So, now I know how popular sweet and sour cabbage around the world.

Here's my recipe, which I used for filling and a side dish. Thanks Martha for helping me to describe one of my favorite recipes.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 medium size cabbage, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
1 medium size carrot, peeled and grated.
3-4 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over the medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add cabbage and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add ketchup and honey. Stir together and cook uncovered, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and fragrant. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.

For filling, cool the cabbage mixture, take 4 cups of the cabbage mixture, add 1 egg and 2 tablespoons flour. Mix everything together. Now you can do pirozhki.


No comments: